The Advantages
of UWB

Multiple Transmitters
Will Not Interfere
With One Another

The Advantages of UWB

The GTX Series transmits true-digital, no-continuous-carrier UWB pulses. The system doesn’t utilize traditional continuous-carrier waves, so there’s no chance of constructive or destructive interference, and no frequency coordination is required

The Pulse is the Signal – No Other Information Is Embedded in the Pulse

The system is controlled via a custom TDMA scheme and patented clock sync and cable compensation technology through multiple GTX32 transceivers. The GTX32 transceivers coordinate system timing, give permission to GTX24 transmitters to transmit, and perform several layers of data validation and error correction. Each GTX32 transceiver can coordinate, receive and process signals from up to 24 simultaneous GTX24 transmitters. Signal reception is not dependent on phase or wave shape. The system only needs to see a “pulse” at the appropriate time in the TDMA scheme for the signal to be linked and captured.

UWB GTX Pulse
Short Pulse – Energy Efficient and Secure

Each pulse is extremely short, lasting only 2.5 ns. This is an important point because it means that the system is almost always “off.” The system is on (i.e., transmitting a signal) only 1.2% of the time, and off the remaining 98.8% of the time. As a result of this very short duty cycle, the GTX24 transmitter stays cool, while its signal remains effectively invisible to surrounding equipment.

The timed sequence of short-duration pulses also makes the system inherently secure, since a receiver must know exactly when, where and how to “look” for the pulse in order to decode it.

GTX24 and GTX32
No Modulation = No Coordination Needed

It’s easy to see the advantage of a wireless system that keeps you free from the spectrum crunch. An additional layer of benefit is the freeing of 24 channels of RF that do not require coordination or consideration in the “RF mix.” Today’s digital and analog systems typically require very careful frequency coordination in order to operate multiple channels simultaneously in the same studio, or in room-to-room, studio-to-studio, or theater-to-theater scenarios.

Any large professional event requires that an experienced RF coordinator be on hand to examine, assign and monitor the frequencies of operation for the various pieces of gear. Each traditional (continuous-carrier-based) wireless microphone channel added to the mix requires an entirely new calculation for the event’s frequency coordination matrix in order to keep the signal waves from interfering with one another. The more channels that are in use, the more complex the situation becomes.

Broadcast Studio
Alteros Simplifies Event Planning

Typically, the coordination of an event starts weeks in advance, with many hours of work required to examine and readjust the frequencies in use. This activity may even continue during the event due to some unexpected interference that adversely affects the entire plan. The UWB method employed by the GTX Series is quick (it takes a matter of seconds to set an individual channel – no calculation required) and inexpensive (anyone can set the channel as there is no special knowledge required and no coordination needed). Once the GTX Series is set up to work with a single channel, it is likewise ready to operate with all 24 channels – no additional time, effort or expense is required to coordinate the extra channels.

Additionally, the controlled range nature of this particular UWB implementation means that the multiple transmitters in use in studio-to-studio settings will not interfere with one another. When used within typically constructed broadcast studios, you do not need to worry about coordinating all the transmitters in the building as you would with typical analog or digital systems.

Theater Pulse